10 Things I don’t want to see in 2019
Before I get started, if any of this offends you, oh well. Simply put, its my personal feelings, thoughts, emotions and ideas. Also maybe I’m talking about you. lol Tell me what you want to be left in 2018!
Refusing to develop and become the man or woman of the man or woman of your dreams, IF THAT’S WHAT YOU TRULY WANT. Every part of your life, you adjust, try it out for this.
10. Referring to yourself as a CREATIVE: None of these points are in any particular order, but I will be honest- I wanted you to see this first. The term “CREATIVE” is so corny and played out! It lost it’s importance when everybody and their grandma started using it, to impress every other unseasoned person in their circle. In my world, the photography world, the phrase “I’m just a creative” is simply code for: “Im never focused scatterbrain, who knows something about everything, but I’m not a expert in anything, but as I come and go, you will appreciate my laid back lazy style”. Just throw the term CREATIVE in the bin with “The Dab” “LIT” and everything else.
9. Quantity over Quality: This has been the hardest part to accept of my photography journey! In the past I thought it was more impressive to show i’m constantly working vs producing great work. WRONG. People pay your for quality, not quantity. In 2019 I believe less will be more.
8: Long YouTube intros: So if you don’t know, the new way to raise engagement is videos. (If you’re a brand, change your Facebook strategy NOW!) YouTubers are being wise and “gaming the system” with long intros to their videos. For people that don’t know, all social media networks have a algorithm which determines which accounts are “worthy”. What helps your YouTube profile beat the algorithm? Views, and more importantly minutes viewed. Most Vloggers make sure they have a 12m video on a topic with about 3m is of rambling because they know you will wait around til the “point of the video”. CUT IT OUT!
7. Black Women being Feminist: Just stop it sis! Every race that has been ran, you have been the backbone of it. Every fight that has been fought, you have birth, raised, prepared, healed and buried it’s fighters. Trust me, you can sit this one out.
6. Being LATE to appointments: People literally don’t have time for this mess anymore. It’s actually comical to me, just how many people plan to be late to appointments. Next year realize ONE THING: Being on time or having earlier availability, so people can actually do things they enjoy, is one sure way to stay in people good graces. As of late, I know a lot of clients, who refuse to work with brands and vice versa due to non excused tardiness.
5. Kissing Corporate Ass: I’ll make this quick for you, the day you realize your job will FIRE & REPLACE you will someone cuter, younger and cheaper and won’t skip a beat…YOU WILL BE FREED! No offense, but your job don’t care about you and your brown-nosing is actually funny to them. I’ve been in these corporate CEO/GM offices, they love embarrassing you in front of your peers behind closed doors.
4. Being a Social Media Influencer: Either you’re a influencer or you’re not. It’s that simple. Social media, especially Instagram, is just a platform and outlet for you to spread your influence. To see so many adults wasting their 20s hoping to be a “Social Media Influencer” shows: ‘Clear Daddy issues, no true skills, little to no work either and a need for attention”. Sad part is, you can’t find no influencer who actually didn’t use their skills to get to to where they are today. SN: There’s a difference in a influencer and someone with a ton of followers. Just saying
3. Promoting Your Past - Current - Future HOE ACTIVITY: You no longer sound adventurous, you just nasty. Plus people are interested in experiences..remember it’s Quality over Quantity lol You just telling us about you being Golden Coral for the weekend means NOTHING. Btw this isn’t my attempt to shame women. I don’t know what type of men you deal with, but men stop giving names years ago. By men forfeiting the names of their escapades, experiences held more value. Women take notes. Nobody aint saying you can’t hoe around, actually its exactly what I’m saying, but figure out what’s important.
2. Deadbeat Dads & Bitter BMs: SHUT UP! You know knew exactly who he or she was when you meet them…you chose to ignore it. Get in court, and off social media and fight for your kid.
1. Being silent on Inclusion: Ask your photographer why he or she never shoot people of color? Ask the makeup artist why blondes with blue eyes are her favorite. Ask the Director of Sales why no People Of Color are leading marketing efforts. Ask your CEO why no departments are led by Black Women. Ask your GM why there aren’t any Latina Men or Women running community outreach and PR efforts. Time is up on everything but including POC on things that matter most. They’re borrowing yout food, your style, your music why cant they borrow you?